Wednesday, August 02, 2006

In a Darkened Room

Developed a roll of black and white film today for apparently the first time in a while, I actually had to look at my own notes! It was FOMA Pan 100, a nice value film that compares well to TMAX 100, though I use the Plus-X instructions for developing. Pictures from our visit to UCSD and to a beach near Del Mar.

Before we left for our vacation, Ellen was pushing to scrapbook last year's trip to Oregon and Washington, so I went into the darkroom for the first time since last summer to make some prints. Like today it took some acclimation but it sure was nice to get in there working with the hands, making prints the old fashioned way. Didn't take long to get back in the swing. Nothing like the smell of developer and fixer to get the juices flowing!

Before I got busy tearing out the kitchen last summer, and started using the darkroom for storing Christmas presents last fall, I bought an Epson Perfection 3170 scanner. The idea was that I would scan negs instead of printing and scanning the prints, and that it would be easier and faster. The 3170 scans 35mm strips and medium format to 6x9 with the included adapters, but is tedious work. Scanning negs is like watching computer-generated grass grow. No offense to the heralds of the new era, I prefer the hands-on darkroom work for most printmaking. As for the prints, they all got cropped and mounted in the album before I could scan any for the website :)

No comments:

Post a Comment