Monday, March 10, 2008

Inspired

Last week a friend and I went to the Legion of Honor to see the new exhibit by one of my all-time favorite portrait/fashion photographers, Annie Leibovitz. It was an extremely well curated exhibit, which is not something I'm used to noticing or saying, and of course the photos were phenomenal. I forgot that Annie has mad photojournalism skillz in addition to being one of the great portrait photographers. Her private candids show another side to that insight you glimpse through the portraits. The end of the exhibit that chronicles the death of her longtime companion Susan Sontag, then the death of her father, then the birth of her second and third children, one of whom she named Susan, was particularly moving. And of course the portraits are amazing to see up close and in person. If you're in the area I highly recommend a trip.

I knew but had forgotten that the Legion of Honor itself is not only by far the best museum in San Francisco, it's on par with the great museums of the world. The collection of Rodin sculptures are better displayed there than even the Rodin museum in Paris. Walking through the courtyard was the first time in a while I wished I had a camera with me, but I hadn't known ahead of time that we were going to be able to go. Another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment